Monday, August 31, 2015

Reading Diary A [Narayan's Ramayana]

Lord Rama and Sita

I read R. K. Narayan's The Ramayana.

I feel like most people are going to say that they loved Rama going to string the bow for Sita, but I do not care. It was my favorite part of the pages I read. Even though it seemed impossible for Rama to succeed in stringing the bow, he decided to do it anyway. He was so successful that he actually broke Shiva's bow by touching the two ends together.

How could a girl not love the guy who manages this for her.

Even then, Sita was not aware that the feat had been accomplished. She had to be told. I think this says a lot. Sita was not languishing by the bow waiting on someone to string it for her, Although, it could easily be pointed out that she was tortured by her memory of Rama on the street. Ah, but that is beside my point of remembering this story.

The other thing I noticed was how the text is dramatic. Maybe there was something that did not translate easily, but I realized many of the character were ready to take drastic measures.

For instance, when Sita is told that there is a man who passed the test, she stands up and states that if it is not the man on the road, she will kill herself.

However, it is Rama, so we do not see if she would actually carry through on this.

It was an interesting fifty pages and I am looking forward to how the story plays out.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment