Sunday, August 30, 2015

My Thoughts About Growth Mindset

First of all, I love TEDtalks.  I think most people don't think about the benefit of pushing themselves out of their comfort zones. There is so much to be learned from the many minds that are featured on that website.

Second, Carol Dweck is brilliant. She has identified one of the greatest issues that is present in this generation. We have built a world of entitlement. Everyone deserves everything that they ever desired. So, when a student does not get an A, their world is over.

Then again, there are the type A perfectionists that are distraught over an imperfect grade. I know, because I am one of them. I passed classes with ease in high school. I had a 4.0 and I took pride in my grades.

Once I got to college, I discovered that it wasn't going to be easy anymore. This was the world of growth and new opportunities. Over this past year, I really learned the benefits of the Growth Mindset. I could take an easy class and protect my GPA. Or I could take the classes I was actually interested in and risk a lower grade point average.

In short, I am a big advocate of the Growth Mindset, even though I didn't know it until now.

German Proverb

3 comments:

  1. Hello Alesha! I agree with your post on growth mindset. It is basically just a different mindset to have when approaching a challenge. I also sometimes get discouraged when I receive a bad grade because I have always strived to get an A. I am trying to move my mindset to a growth mindset point of view. I like the German proverb you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TED talks are the best. You should check out TEDRadio Hour. If you ever have a long drive or something they are excellent to listen to. I hadn't heard of the growth mindset either but had that idea in my head before I heard the word to it. I'd love if you share any ted talk you really like with me when you find a good one. I can do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a really great article that Carol wrote that specifically covered the issue of Growth Mindset in the context of women in college. She said that women are the most affected when it comes to the pressure to be successful, because we are trying to prove ourselves. In saying this, however, she explains that women are more likely to drop out of a science or math major because they see it as a failure when they don’t make a good grade. She basically was saying that women focus on the grade presented to them, and men brush it off and focus on the degree rather than the grade. I thought it was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete