Thursday, October 22, 2015

Storytelling for Week 9: The Interview

Aruna choked on her coffee.

Did that reporter really just ask Ram himself about what happened to Sita?

Whoa.

Aruna remembered wondering why Sita disappeared. However, she would never have the guts to ask Ram what happened.

The mood had instantly shifted in the interview. Ram's eyes widened and Aruna thought she saw a hint of panic. Interesting. Was he hiding something?

"Actually, well ... I do have something to say. Something I have been wanting to say for a long time now," Ram started to say.

Now, Aruna saw Lakshmana's eyes widen in horror. He begin to signal people behind the camera.

Ram continued. "Sita was the love of my life and it broke my heart when she left. I thought we were going to be together forever. And now, she has been gone for so long!" Aruna thought she saw tears in his eyes.

Lakshmana cleared his throat rather loudly and shot a death glare at Ram, who did not seem to notice. The reporter had a tissue from her purse and handed it to him. Was it just the one question that had needed to be asked in order to get answers that everyone had wondered about for years now?

Aruna was beginning to be greatly amused by Lakshmana's attempts to derail Ram while remaining as regal as he could in his stretched-out general's uniform. His face was beginning to turn bright red from all of the fake coughing he was doing.

"It really started one day when we had a fight. It was not even a big fight. It was something so little. I think Sita had wanted a pet. For some reason, in my foolishness, I thought it would be too much responsibility for her. After all, she had gotten herself kidnapped by Ravana years ago," Ram said as he shook his head.

Lakshmana had moved in on Ram. None of his not-so-subtle attempts were working to stop Ram from telling this massive secret. "Sir, um, I think we better consider what is best for your well-being," Lakshmana said forcefully. The reporter glanced at the people behind the camera. Aruna assumed that the producer was angry, because a look of fear crossed over the reporter's face.

"No! I want to say it. You know I have been wanting to say this for a very long time!" Ram turned toward the cameras. "Sita has disappeared because

Suddenly, Aruna's television screen went fuzzy. The show had gone off air because Ram was about to answer the question that had been on everyone's mind for years.

Aruna's TV
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Wow. That was so hard. I had such a difficult time with this week's Storytelling post because I had already been reading a retelling of a story. So, I had to retell the retelling in a way that was unique. It definitely took a few tries to get it to where I wanted the story to go.

In the original story, the reporter asks about Sita, who had disappeared years ago. She asked Ram, the name for Rama in this story, about it while on live television. Originally, Ram took a few political moves and dodged the reporter's question. The reporter then is followed by the powerful guy called The Washerman who oversees all of the media sources in their town. For my story, I wanted to re-imagine the scenario, but make Ram want to answer the question. This retelling is a political thriller, so what if Ram was being forced to ignore Sita's disappearance? I did not have Ram give away the answer to Sita's whereabouts since I have not read that far in the book yet! I suggest checking back in next week to see what happens! The original story came from Samhita Arni's The Missing Queen (2014).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alesha, I really liked reading your story for this week.I like how you formatted the story into an interview. This is a type of format I haven't seen a lot of people use in this class. I also like how it was Ram that was being questioned and having to answer in the interview. I also like how you ended with the TV messing up, leaving us readers in suspense. Overall, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alesha. Woah! Definitely a cliffhanger there. I like how so much is being said about a history of events all while in a short interview. I like elegant writing like this, telling a big story with as few words as possible. You can definitely see that Ram and Lakshmana have a history too with the stares and the loss of signal right at the end. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome retelling of a retell! It's extract doubly from the original so it would be interesting to go back and read that. I had a weird idea pop in my mind when reading this. I was thinking about the interviews in the hunger games. Thinking about Pita talking about Katniss but couldn't talk about her because he didn't want to say were she had disappeared too. Right before he was going to the interview was cut.

    ReplyDelete