Monday, October 12, 2015

Reflections: Looking Back

So far, this class has been very interesting. I have learned things I never thought that I would have before I started college. I took this class because I wanted to gain new experiences and learn about a culture that I knew very little about. I think I have accomplished this so far. At least, I sure hope so. If I have not, at least I have read some interesting stories!

The last time I read something like these epics was when I read about the adventures of Marco Polo. It was fascinating and a little bit strange. However, all of these stories have really stayed with me. I have thought more about the Mahabharata and the Ramayana than the book I am reading just for fun.

I am pretty happy with my Storybook so far. It is definitely coming out like how it was pictured in my head. I hope others are enjoying it as much as I enjoy creating it. I have been looking at other news sites to figure out placement of text, photos, and other elements such as block quotes. It has really taught me to look at the details.


what it looks like when I think about my Storybook
It took me a little while to get a good schedule figured out for this class. I had to unexpectedly take a lot more hours at work. So, for a time, I was struggling to balance full-time classes and essentially a full-time job. I ended up sitting down with a calendar and blocking certain times for this class and enough time that I could get decently ahead of schedule if I needed to in some weeks. I think it is working much better. I am at least not stressing out so much.

I am looking forward to the rest of the semester!

3 comments:

  1. I also found myself struggling to manage work and school. I haven't made my schedule yet but you are definitely inspiring me to do so since you seem to be making it work for you. I think it is definitely beneficial to have a schedule made. That is what I am planning on doing for the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alesha! Yeah, I have a had a similar situation with my job, so it has really made my schedule more hectic for all of my classes. I'm glad to hear things are settling down and less stressful now though. I also signed up for this class to learn about a different culture, and I think you'd be surprised by how much we have learned about Indian culture and philosophy by looking through the epics. If you continue looking at them in the next few weeks, I think you'll see that these stories have had a really important impact even on modern-day India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've definitely struggled with time management this semester. Such a good idea to sit down with a calendar and block off times to do your work! I used to do that when I was taking a full semester of classes, but since this is my only and last class, I have been slacking a bit. I work full time too, so I cannot imagine having a full time job and a full class schedule. Good for you! I'm sure when Christmas break rolls around you'll be ready for a much deserved break!

    ReplyDelete