Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Reading Diary A + B [Ryder's Twenty-Two Goblins]

I read Ryder's Twenty-Two Goblins.

I kind of wonder what the author of this book was like in real life. The word play on every single part of the story is very detailed. It is a very clever story and I am enjoying reading the riddles.

It made me laugh when the goblin said the equivalent of "Dude, why are you still coming back to get me? I keep escaping!" I thought it was funny because I am sure all readers are wondering the same thing. This king is rather stubborn. He is up to fourteen attempts to capture the goblin by bringing him back to the castle. This only makes me wonder more about what is going to happen at the end of the story. It seems like it is pointing to a big conclusion with something interesting happening to the king.

The riddles are still pretty interesting and I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out the answer. I am still enjoying this book very much and I cannot wait to read the end of it.

where the king finds the goblin

1 comment:

  1. Alesha, I am so happy you are liking this book too. It is kind of the opposite of Arni... this is a CLASSIC of Sanskrit literature, a couple thousand years old, but still entertaining today.

    And Ryder is a genius translator; not all of his works are in the public domain, but thank goodness some of them are, like this one, so that they can be free online. The word play you are seeing is his attempt to render the ancient Sanskrit in English, and Sanskrit is a language FULL of word play!

    ReplyDelete