Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Storytelling for Week 12: The Riddles

All I wanted was to have a nice, normal day with nothing crazy happening. Silly me. Why did I believe that it was even possible?

It all started this morning. The sun was shining with a gentle warmth and birds chirped cheerfully along my route to school. Instead of driving to campus, I figured a walk would be a great way to start off my day. I had made my special coffee and had a healthy breakfast. Nothing was going to stop me today.

I blissfully strolled by trees that daintily dropped beautiful leaves on the ground. A squirrel chirruped a good morning as he scurried past me. I just loved these moments where all was right with the world and all my cares slipped away.

Autumn
I came to the bridge that transversed the gap over a bubbling stream. I was just about to set my foot on the gracefully worn wooden bridge, when all of the sweet birds suddenly

ended their songs.

The sun ducked behind a cloud like it was fearful of what was about to happen. Wind started a low, haunting whistle through the tree branches. The trees that had seemed fully decked out in autumn glory moments before now seemed to be ominous reminders of the coming dead of winter.

A voice arose from underneath the bridge. It sounded empty and eerie. "Who are you and why are you daring to walk across my bridge?" said the voice.

I was so confused and terrified at the same time. The shudden shift in mood had chilled me to my bones in anticipation of the unknown.

"I am just a college student trying to get to class. Is that okay? Do I need to go a different way?"

The voice laughed a deep, creepy laugh. "I am the goblin that guards this bridge. I do not know if I should let you go across."

Are you kidding me? Goblins are not real. They certainly do not guard bridges. That was just the stuff of stories. I guess, though, something was under the bridge. I decided to go along with ... well, whatever was happening.

"I am sorry. I crossed this bridge last week and I do not remember you being here."

"Ridiculous human! I just moved here."

"Okay, umm. Is there any possible way that I can get across? I do have to get to class."

"Well, I suppose. Education is important. Okay, I am feeling generous today. You can cross if, and only if, you guess my riddle!"

I had to get to class. So, I guess there was just one thing I could do.

"Okay, Goblin, bring it on."

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Author's Note: Ryder's Twenty-Two Goblins is about a king trying to capture a goblin who lives in a corpse. As the king totes the corpse and goblin towards his castle, the goblin tells riddles to pass the time. The king is very quick and correctly guesses the riddles. He avoids the curses of the goblin. However, the goblin always escapes at the end of the riddle, but the king is persistent and keeps going back for the corpse-inhabiting goblin. I knew that I definitely wanted to recreate a story with my own version of the riddles. I was trying to re-imagine this story in a way that any reader could imagine it in a context relative to them. The original story can be found by reading Arthur William Ryder's Twenty-two Goblins (2000).

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alesha! I like how your story starts off with a statement and a rhetorical question. This helps to grab the attention of the reader. I also like how you adapted the plot in the real version to a different more modern situation. The end of the story was left on a cliffhanger. Are you going to write another version to finish the story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alesha!
    I really enjoyed reading your story. It was really interesting and entertaining. I cannot believe that you came up with those riddles on your own. That was really creative. I did not notice any punctuation or grammar errors. Good job! I really liked the image you included in your story. It looks like one of the trees on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solid! I can think back to a bunch of folk tales and such with these plot lines. I think there was one in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. This reminded me also of the drinking from the lake where all the brothers die. Then the eldest answers all the riddles. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your retelling. Great job on the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting story! I wish I could have at least been able to read the riddle this week. I will for sure drop by next week to read your riddle and see what happens. I like how you were able to bring our everyday people (like college students) into the realm of mystic things. I like how sudden the change was as well I think many readers can relate to sudden shifts in their days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alesha! Your story was very interesting! I have not yet read Ryder's Twenty-Two Goblins this semester, but it seems to be a pretty popular reading in this class. I liked your version of the story because it was entertaining and kept us intrigued with the dialogue. Plus, that cliffhanger was a great way to end the story! Good job, keep up the work!

    ReplyDelete