Monday, September 21, 2015

Reading Diary B [Narayan's Mahabharata]

I read from R. K. Narayan's The Mahabharata.

So, I realized I mentioned a story in the last reading diary that I was technically supposed to read for this reading diary. Oh well. Sometimes getting ahead in your schedule can create a little bit of confusion.

I still think Draupadi learning that she was the stakes in a game of dice was one of the craziest stories from this part of the epic. I would be so upset and would feel terribly betrayed if I was in her place. However, she demonstrated great courage and quick thinking. When they went to break the news to her that she had been essentially gambled away, she asked if her husband had staked himself first. So, she had already started looking for a way out of her predicament. Also, when they were going to so horribly rip off her clothing in front of them, she pleaded with Krishna and he came through for her. Draupadi demonstrated that she was always thinking even when in pretty horrible situations.

I think that the women of the Mahabharata and the Ramayana are some interesting characters. Even though they are almost overlooked by the other characters, they all have strong personalities and are not afraid to act independently of the men. That is why they are going to be the focus of my Storybook Project.

another powerful portrayal of Draupadi requesting Krishna's help

No comments:

Post a Comment